Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fahrenheit 451


So recently I started reading this book called Fahrenheit 451. I wasn’t sure if I would like it but I actually started to enjoy it. This book is by the same author who wrote 1984 which I actually hated the only reason I read it is because it was for one of my classes. SO you can only imagine why I thought I would hate this book but so far it isn’t bad. I haven’t gotten too far but this is what I’ve read so far.

Guy Montag (main character) is a fireman who burns books in a kind of advanced American city. In Montag’s world, firemen start fires rather than putting them out which you know is pretty weird. The people in this society do not read books, enjoy nature, spend time by themselves, think independently, or have personal or meaningful type of conversations.  What the do is drive very fast, watch excessive amounts of television on wall-size sets, and listen to the radio with head phones attached to their ears. I found this to be pretty interesting considering that is kind of what is happening in the world right now. When I walk to class I see so many people with their head phones attached to their ears blaring music.  

Now this part of the book I just read  today. Montag meet a kind seventeen-year-old girl named Clarisse McClellan. Clarisse was always asking him these really intense questions about his life and with these questions and her unusual love of people and nature Montag realized he lives a very boring, empty life. Over the next few days Montag experiences a series of disturbing events. First, his wife Mildred, attempts suicide by taking a bottle of sleeping pills. Then, when he responds to an alarm that an old woman has a stash of hidden literature, the woman shocks him by choosing to be burned alive along with her books. That’s as far as I have gotten in the book and honestly I can’t wait to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment