Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sunday- essay

The essay packet we received last week was pretty interesting. There was one that stuck out to me, being the hummingbird essay. Well since we have to write about another one I started to try and find one other then total Eclipse. So i came across one that I could kind of relate to so I guess that's the one I will discuss.

Sunday By Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
I liked this because in the beginning it says "white people couldn't cook;everybody knew that." I found this to be somewhat funny because my Grandpa is 100 percent Indian and he is always going on and on about how food white people cook is bland. Although he doesn't have much room to talk because he can't cook either. Anyways I also found that funny because my dad and I love to cook, and my dad is one of the best cooks I know. He and I are always in the kitchen trying out new sauces to marinate meat in, or just experimenting with new recipes. My dad has always been big on a healthy meal, and cooking everything just right, and no eating on the run. SO when that was brought up in the story I really enjoyed that.


Another reason I liked this essay is because of the images I got. When he would talk about the secrets of the Coleman family he would say the fatback, or a couple of ham hocks and a long simmering time. I could picture all of it. Maybe its because I love to cook and I do it so often so I just know exactly what he is describing. I liked this essay because it reminded me of home, and had a story I could follow and enjoy. Even though the story made me hungry and miss home I loved it because it made me think of my dad and out bound to the kitchen and together!

1 comment: