Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blood Dazzler

When I purchased the book Blood Dazzler I wasn't sure what to make of it. I knew it was about a hurricane, I only assumed it was hurricane Katrina because of the cover. I was interested in what it was about, or how a person can make so many different kinds of poems about a hurricane. Before I started reading I looked through the book, just glanced at some of the pages. The book seemed to be pretty thought out and had a lot of meaning. I had no idea how much time, effort, and heart was actually put into this book until I started to read it.

Smith clearly holds a lot of emotion toward this tragic event, just as many people do. The book is so unique and clever. The prologue in its self is amazing, the way she describes the hurricane and what it did to the city leaves me speechless. One poem in particular that I really enjoy is Their Savior was me; wow is all I can say. I think this poem stuck out to me because Smith gave hurricane Katrina a voice. It was like Katrina was saying you should be praying to me not "him", like she was their only hope and nothing could save them except her. In the poem it says “have never heard a prayer that began with my name" this is a perfect example of what I mean.

I love how Smith made you as the reader feel like you experienced everything, and you were there the day all this occurred. The mental images and thoughts I had while reading this where so vivid so unexplainable. I never fully understood how bad and how hurt the people that suffered the rage of hurricane Katrina felt. This marvelous book of poems truly is a wonderful way that opens up your eyes to what really went on that day. After reading the poems I sat in my chair and just thought of all the people who lost their lives, the families who lost loved ones, and all the pain and suffering each one still endures today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment